Is D programming friendly for beginners?

thinkunix thinkunix at zoho.com
Tue Mar 5 08:20:06 UTC 2024

Fidele via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> I want to start learning D programming language it looks interesting

Get familiar with https://dlang.org/ web site, you'll use it a lot.
Do the Tour, https://tour.dlang.org/

Books, full list here:  https://wiki.dlang.org/Books
I would recommend starting with these.  I found them easy to read
and they just make sense.
* Learning D by Mike Parker and
* Programming in D by Ali Çehreli

I also highly recommend Mike Shah's video series available on youtube
and on his web site:
https://courses.mshah.io/courses/d-language-dlang-programming

The advantages of Mike Shah's site are:
* no youtube distractions
* you can track your progress
* it's FREE!

You can get started with just a text editor and one of the D compilers.

Lastly, as others mentioned, get on the D-Learn mailing list, or use
the forum https://forum.dlang.org/ instead of D-announce.
Lurk for a while.  Read and try some of the code snippets you see go by.
It will help you understand the language.

Welcome to D!
scot