Is D programming friendly for beginners?

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:40:49 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 16:20:29 UTC, matheus. wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 March 2024 at 14:52:32 UTC, Mike Shah wrote:
>> I really think D would be a wonderful first language. 🙂 Fast
>> feedback, no need to manage memory, and easy to use built-in
>> data structures would make for a nice intro course.
>
> If you say that D would be a good language to learn in lieu
> C++/Rust I'd agree, but as a First Language neither one would
> be my choice.
>
> Most here already program and know things, but as a first
> language forget, at least where and when I did college (Already
> knowing how to program), most people were lost with all the
> concepts of C++ for example.
>
> Bitwise shifts like << >> and the same operators being used in
> cin/cout may be OK for most people already in programming and
> using shell, but for those learning was a hell.
>
> Matheus.

I think it really depends on the person. My first language was
C++, which was absolute hell to learn as a complete beginner to
programming, but I really wanted to learn a language with
low-level capabilities that could also do gamedev. Learning C++
as my first language was incredibly difficult, but it also made
the programming parts of my CS degree a breeze - especially
courses like machine level programming. Nobody else in the class
even understood what a pointer was for the first couple weeks.