DWARF output, type of char[]?

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Tue Apr 3 12:09:44 PDT 2007

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> Cristian Vlasceanu wrote:
>
>> I do not know enough D, but is there "unsigned long long" an otherwise
>> legal D type? Because if (as I supsect) it isn't, and it can be
>> unequivocally determined that it stands for  a char[] whenever the
>> translation unit's language is D, I could easily make it work in Zero.
>> Out of the box.
>

> You may want to check what type "ulong" is marked as. Since that's a
> 64-bit unsigned integer (like unsigned long long typically is) it may
> also be marked as "unsigned long long"...

What is needed is for T[] to be marked as something special. Then you
could treat it as described. FWIW D has it's own DWARF "language number"
so we should be able to add new types. Then the debugger could treat it
as said struct.

A short term hack could be to have the compiler do the magic and mark it
as some sort of auto generated struct type.

Disclaimer: I know slightly more than 0 about how DWARF works under the
hood.