Ddbg-0.0.3 and Zeus Editor

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Tue Mar 6 16:50:27 PST 2007

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> Cool.  Do you also support the GDB/MI interface, or do you
> plan to in the near future?

The Zeus gdb debugger interface was added around about 2002
so it is showing it's age ;)

The current plan is to first see if the current debugger support
can be improved (i.e. made more user friendly) and once this is
done I see no reason why support for GDB/MI can not be also added.

> Wait, were you aware that if you rename ddbg.exe to ddbg_gdb.exe
> that it will emulate gdb behavior?

No. I did not know this.

> From your screenshot it looks like you are running it as
> plain "ddbg.exe".

In any case, because of the way the Zeus debugger interface
in designed this doesn't matter greatly.

In a nut shell each debugger DLL is nothing more than
a mapping of Zeus debug actions to a debugger commands.

For example here is the list of Zeus debugger actions and
how they are mapped to for the ddbg debugger:

   Action       ddbg Command
   =========================
   RUN          r
   CONTINUE     r
   STEP         in
   NEXT         ov
   UNTIL        out
   KILL         q
   UP           ii
   DOWN         dr

   ARGS         us
   STACK        ds
   PRINT        =
   PRINTEX      ii
   LOCALS       lsv
   HELP         ?

   BREAKSET     bp
   BREAKCLR     dbp
   BREAKALL     dbp *
   BREAKINFO    lbp

These are the defaults, but all these actions can also be re-configured
by the user.

Cheers Jussi