[ddbg] finding source files

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Sep 14 13:23:39 PDT 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> What's up with finding source files in ddbg?
>>
>> What I do most for testing is run my program.
>> If it crashes, I run it again inside ddbg.
>> It crashes again and then I type 'ps'.
>>
>> At that point it pretty much always tells me "source file for current
>> location unknown".  Ok, so that's probably because I'm on the wrong
>> frame (I'd think even then it should print out the topmost frame that
>> does have source).  But if I 'f 2' to get to what should be my code it
>> *still* says 'source file for current location unknown'.
>>
>> 'lsm' though, tells me all the files just fine.
>>
>> If I set a breakpoint and run to that, though, 'ps' works.
>>
>> Any chance listing could be made to work without having to set
>> breakpoints?
>>
>> --bb
>
> i will add printing the "last known" source position in the next
> release. it should certainly work in all the other situations.
> i will try to reproduce this problem. it would be great if you could
> provide me with a testcase to do so.

Great.  Here you go.
I don't know if all the different files are strictly necessary to
reproduce it but this does reproduce the problem for me.

When you run it, 'us' should give frame 2 as something like main.d:22.
But doing "f 2" then "ps" says "source file for current location unknown".

ps *does* try to print source from the current active frame, right?  If
instead it always tries to print the source of frame 0 then that would
explain it, but that's odd behavior and isn't in line with how other
debuggers work.

This is with ddbg v0.10b, DMD 1.021 compiler.

--bb