gdb internal error

AaronP aaronbpaden at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 07:37:50 PST 2011

On 12/27/2011 08:11 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 26/12/2011 22:57, AaronP wrote:
>> Trying to set a breakpoint on gdb (7.3.1-1) gives me an error.
>>
>> (gdb) b game.d:die
>> buildsym.c:824: internal-error: start_symtab: Assertion `!
>> pending_addrmap' failed.
>> A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
>> further debugging may prove unreliable.
>> Quit this debugging session? (y or n)
>>

>> Is there some kind of special sauce for getting gdb working with D?
>
> Make sure you're compiling with -gc (not -g), if that's still happening
> then one of two things needs to happen:
>
> 1) A bug gets filed to the gdb team with the relevant object files so
> they can reproduce it/fix it
> 2) It needs narrowing down so that dmd can work around it.
>
> Alternatively you could compile with ldc or gdc as they will produce
> different debug information and probably won't cause gdb to crash.

Ah, thanks, compiling with -gc works. Though names are mangled and I can
only set breakpoints at line numbers. I thought I could compile with -g
because I've got the latest gdb (woo Arch Linux). Weren't there some
patches that were being included with gdb to make things better for d?
Or was that for gdc?