Most reliable debugging experience for LDC

Vadim Lopatin via Digitalmars-d-debugger digitalmars-d-debugger at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 3 05:21:03 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 13:48:30 UTC, Sam wrote:
> I've tried to get de-mangling, line numbers and local variables
> working on OS X and Linux using both GDB and LLDB (multiple
> versions). My target is compiled with -g. So far, none of the
> variants work across all areas, although some produce
> de-mangled names and others produce line numbers (but mangled
> names).
>
> I believe none of the variants produced local variables - OS X
> might have done under one configuration but currently I need to
> debug a live process on Linux. This is the most important part
> for me, because I can piece together the other information from
> other debugger executables if really necessary.
>
> I have recently tried LLDB 3.4.2, LLDB 3.8, GDB 7.6.1 and GDB
> 7.11. LDC was compiled with LLVM/Clang 3.8. Target program has
> some non-D code - compiled using system GCC (4.8.5) - but the
> frame in question is D code.
>
> Is there currently any debugger that can show local variables
> for LDC 1.0.0 on Linux? What is the most reliable one in
> general (to investigate further)?

I've tried to debug DMD generated code with lldbmi2 debugger.
There was a problem with source file / line numbers when
stepping, but I fixed it in lldbmi2.
Cannot get variables working - looks like debug information about
function context is not compatible with llvm-db