Debugging Visual D using Visual D

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger digitalmars-d-debugger at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 13 14:14:23 PDT 2017

So, just to let you know, I seemed to be able to setup Visual
Studio so that I can debug Visual D(with visual D).

To do this:

Load the experimental hive:

https://blog.agchapman.com/updating-registry-settings-for-visual-studio-2017/

Load the privateregistry.bin file from
%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_[instanceid]{RootSuffix}\privateregistry.bin

Modify all visual D install dirs with a location one wants to use
for the debugged version, there are quite a few. I simply made a
sub-dir called debug and copied the original data to that
location(and, of course, made a backup).

Create a way to copy the debug version of visual D to that
directory(a build event, batch file, etc).

Then run visual studio with /RootSuffix Exp

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb166560.aspx

It should load a new exp visual studio using the new visual D.
Now one can copy the dll without issue since they are different
versions being used.

The only thing left to do is have it automatically run visual
studio on "start". There seems to be no csproj for visualD though
so it can't be modified, I guess a post build event could be used.

Also, it seems that one can't disable building for a project.
Visual D has several projects and I'm so used to building using
F6 that I tend to rebuild the whole thing. Is it possible to get
some way to disable building for a project in the solution?