Debugging Visual D using Visual D

Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger digitalmars-d-debugger at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 15 23:58:49 PDT 2017

On 16.08.2017 08:32, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 16.08.2017 04:49, Johnson wrote:
>>      VisualD.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\Debug\VisualD.dll
>> N/A    Yes    Symbols loaded.    C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\VisualD\Debug\VisualD.pdb    229    0.45.1-rc2    12/31/1969
>> 7:00 PM    13FB0000-143C0000*    [8972] devenv.exe
>>      VisualD.dll    C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\VisualD.dll    N/A
>> Yes    Cannot find or open the PDB file.        271    0.45.1-rc2
>> 12/31/1969 7:00 PM    18D40000-1904E000*    [8972] devenv.exe
>>

>> I was finally able to get it to work. Something is wonky. I think it's
>> when I use a normal VS side by side with the experimental that the
>> experimental can't find the symbols and somehow the registry changes I
>> made got reset.
>>
>> So far it is working(I can hit BP's) but it's still basically the same
>> scenario in that I have to completely shut down VS in order to reload
>> visualD. Before I could automate because the normal visual studio
>> instance could stay open... but it seems like it screws up the
>> debugging symbols and such.
>>
>> I could try to use another, different exp instance(different registry)
>> but I feel the same problem might occur.
>>
>> But I guess it's better than nothing.
>>

> Good to hear it (kind of) works now. VS2015 also resets the
> configuration rather often, so it's good to automate the patching.
>
> I don't have troubles with exchanging the debug DLL while having the
> normal VS instance running. Maybe you have experimented with registry
> changes that now cause the debug DLL to be loaded there, too?
> Reinstalling Visual D should help in that case (though that will trigger
> rebuilding the user configuration).
>
> I've tried to figure out why both DLLs are actually loaded (it has been
> bugging me before, too), but could not find the cause yet.

I managed to load the Debug DLL into the "experimental" VS without any
(explicit) registry patching:

1. delete
HOME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>Exp\privateregistry.bin
to make sure to start from scratch

2. copy "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Rainer Schuetze\VisualD" to
"%HOME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>Exp\Extensions\Rainer
Schuetze\VisualD"

3. replace paths in Extensions\Rainer
Schuetze\VisualD\0.45\visuald.pkgdef to point to the debug DLL

4. start "devenv /RootSuffix Exp"

5. enable "Visual D" in the "Extensions and Updates..." dialog

6. restart VS

This even doesn't load the DLL twice for me.