Debugging Visual D using Visual D

Johnson via Digitalmars-d-debugger digitalmars-d-debugger at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 17 10:05:31 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 at 19:35:19 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 16.08.2017 21:18, Johnson Jones wrote:
>> What's strange is that with your changes, privateregistry
>> seems to use them... but it still loads the old(I think)
>> visualD because when I try the debug the BP's are not hit and
>> the module shows the original visualD directory.
>
> The Visual D installer adds the extension to the VS
> installation ("c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Rainer
> Schuetze\VisualD") so it is immediately available for all users
> and suffixes.
>
> You can move it to
> "%HOME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>\Extensions\Rainer Schuetze\VisualD" to load it only with the version without suffix. With both the system wide extension and the one in the "Exp" folder, the extension from the user folder took precedence for me, though.
>
> If you run "devenv /RootSuffix Exp /Log" VS writes a log into
> "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>Exp\ActivityLog.xml" that also lists detected extensions.

I completely removed the `Extensions\Rainer Schuetze` directories
in all visual studio folders that I know of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Enterprise\IDE\Extensions

C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_4d0b469e
C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_4d0b469eExp

Running visual studio still loads Visual D. It seems that it
doesn't even use the visuald.pkgdef.

Obviously I have those entries in the registry. Which it seems it
pulls from and either doesn't use the extensions folder at all on
my system or is overridden by the registry entries? If that's the
case, how can it be worked around? If not, what else might it be?

If visuald.pkgdef is suppose to be what visual studio uses to
load visual D as an extension, does it import that in to the
registry and then use the registry or does it always use the
pkgdef file?(which doesn't seem to be the case, as, again, visual
D is loading with visual studio without any of those pkgdef's)

What I'm afraid of is that deleting the registry keys will not do
any good, they will just be re-imported by loading the pkgdef(or
not, in which case Visual D won't be found at all) and then the
main registry keys will be used for the Exp, like it is now.

Basically visual studio is not loading the pkgdef files either at
all or only once, or every time but not allow them to overwrite
the registry keys, or something else is going on that I can't
seem to figure out.