Debugging Visual D using Visual D

Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger digitalmars-d-debugger at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 17 14:18:35 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 17 August 2017 at 17:45:35 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 17.08.2017 19:05, Johnson wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 16 August 2017 at 19:35:19 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:

>>> The Visual D installer adds the extension to the VS
>>> installation ("c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
>>> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Rainer
>>> Schuetze\VisualD") so it is immediately available for all
>>> users and suffixes.
>>>
>>> You can move it to
>>> "%HOME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>\Extensions\Rainer Schuetze\VisualD" to load it only with the version without suffix. With both the system wide extension and the one in the "Exp" folder, the extension from the user folder took precedence for me, though.
>>>
>>> If you run "devenv /RootSuffix Exp /Log" VS writes a log into
>>> "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>Exp\ActivityLog.xml" that also lists detected extensions.
>>

>> I completely removed the `Extensions\Rainer Schuetze`
>> directories in all visual studio folders that I know of:
>>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
>> Studio\2017\Enterprise\IDE\Extensions
>>
>> C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_4d0b469e
>> C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_4d0b469eExp
>>
>> Running visual studio still loads Visual D. It seems that it
>> doesn't even use the visuald.pkgdef.
>>
>> Obviously I have those entries in the registry. Which it seems
>> it pulls from and either doesn't use the extensions folder at
>> all on my system or is overridden by the registry entries? If
>> that's the case, how can it be worked around? If not, what
>> else might it be?
>>
>> If visuald.pkgdef is suppose to be what visual studio uses to
>> load visual D as an extension, does it import that in to the
>> registry and then use the registry or does it always use the
>> pkgdef file?(which doesn't seem to be the case, as, again,
>> visual D is loading with visual studio without any of those
>> pkgdef's)
>>
>> What I'm afraid of is that deleting the registry keys will not
>> do any good, they will just be re-imported by loading the
>> pkgdef(or not, in which case Visual D won't be found at all)
>> and then the main registry keys will be used for the Exp, like
>> it is now.
>>
>> Basically visual studio is not loading the pkgdef files either
>> at all or only once, or every time but not allow them to
>> overwrite the registry keys, or something else is going on
>> that I can't seem to figure out.
>>

> I think you are right that VS imports the settings from the
> pkgdef only once, then uses the registry only.
>
> Maybe try deleting the cache files in
> "%APPDATA%\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<id>\Extensions".

Ok, It seems to be caching. I deleted everything in the main
registry related to visualD and ran visual studio and it was
still there!

Searched on line and came up with devenv updateconfiguration,
reran VS, and VisualD was no longer there! Ran experimental and
it's still there!

Used the same process to remove it from Exp.

So, this surely has to be caching, although I removed all the
cache files I could fine from both versions.

As of this point there is nothing related to visualD in the
registry nor the VS folders as far as I can tell and both
versions are not finding visualD.

I will copy the modified pkgdef file to the exp dir and run it:
Did nothing, Vi sual D didn't load! Copied the original pkgdef,
no go.

Seems Visual studio is not using the pkgdef in

C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_4d0b469eExp\Extensions\Rainer Schuetze\VisualD

I put the extensions folder in all the visual studio versions in
that base dir and it didn't help(so it's not using any directory
in C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio).

Of course, at this point it means something is fubar'ed.

I went ahead and installed latest VD so I could get some work
done. Seems like no problem.

So either visual studio is not doing what it's suppose to or it
has more cache files laying around that I failed to delete,
unless you see something different?