Visual D seems to have a new bug

Brett Brett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 16:04:40 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 at 06:25:15 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 02/10/2019 07:46, Brett wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 18:44:37 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
>> wrote:

>>> I cannot easily reproduce the issue, but it might already be
>>> fixed by the same patch as the one avoiding crashes with
>>> pointers to empty arrays.
>>>
>>> You can try to replace "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
>>> Visual
>>> Studio\2019\Community\Common7\Packages\Debugger\MagoNatCC.dll" (or
>>> similar path depending on the VS version) with the
>>> Appveyor artifact here:
>>> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/rainers/mago/builds/27804605/artifacts
>>>
>>> This version also contains some of your recent suggestions.
>>
>> This did not fix it ;/ I'm not 100% sure I updated correctly
>> but it seemed correct(The browser remembered the saved dir
>> from last time and I just used it and overwrote the dll).
>>
>> Surely this should be a simple bug to find? Somewhere in the
>> code this is automatically watched and for some reason it's
>> type is off.
>>
>> Do you know the location of that code that you could paste a
>> reference to? I'll look at it and see if I can see anything.
>>
>> I wonder if you could easily modify Visual D so that one could
>> "break" in to it to do some debugging. It might be much
>> easier. If, for example, I could run a piece of code that
>> somehow triggers debugging of Visual D around the code being
>> debugged(a BP of a BP in some sense) then it might be easier.
>> I realize that it doesn't quite work this way but if I could
>> just get some VisualD code to pop up in another debugger
>> running parallel then I could debug some of these problems
>> myself. I have had no success building visual D myself so if
>> there was a debug build that worked I could download that and
>> use it.
>
> You don't have to compile Visual D, but mago:
> https://github.com/rainers/mago
>
> Ignore the readme, load MagoDbg_2010.sln into VS2013 or newer,
> and build Expression/MagoNatCC for configuration "Debug Static
> DE|Win32". Then replace the DLL in the VS debugger folder with
> bin\Win32\Debug\MagoNatCC.dll.

I was able to build and copy the file and all that but when I
attach and add a BP on, say line 345 below the BP is missing and
says symbols are not loaded. I took all the pdb's and put them in
a directory and added the dir too the symbols dir in the VS
options but it is still missing. Also the "modules" are not
showing any symbols for mago... all visual studio stuff(mainly
.net, not sure why they would be showing).

"This breakpoints will not currently be hit. Symbols not
loaded"...

I use attach to process then find devenv.exe of the target D
app(not the app itself but the visual studio process running it
since I imagine that is the one running the mago dll).

I've copied the pdb's to the same dir as the mago dll's... Visual
studio simply won't load them ;/ This is with the debug static
build.

Any idea? Am I doing it wrong?

> If you hit an issue, you can start a new instance of VS with
> the mago solution and attach its debugger to the other running
> VS (devenv.exe).

yes, I can't get Bp's to work though ;/

> There is actually some automatic dereferencing going on
> (avoiding extra
> nesting in watches) here
>
> https://github.com/rainers/mago/blob/master/EED/EED/EED.cpp#L213, https://github.com/rainers/mago/blob/master/EED/EED/EED.cpp#L315 and https://github.com/rainers/mago/blob/master/EED/EED/EnumValues.cpp#L845
>
> which might have gotten out-of-sync recently. I think I just
> noticed an issue and triggered a new build on Appveyor.

I tried but it doesn't seem to be working ;/