what dtl contains..

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Jan 25 13:07:28 PST 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> Robby wrote:
>> I'm currently porting my entire toolchain over to d for day to day. I
>> can find references to dtl here and there without a download link,
>> tango also mentions implementing some of the things I presume to be
>> included within the dtl implementation.
>>
>> Is it the case that dtl has been folded into tango?
>>
>> Is there a new date on when tango going to be released (even in a
>> beta/alpha state?)
>>
>> I just don't want to retool already implemented facilities if I can
>> help it, cheers.
>>
>> Robby
>
> AFAIK, Tango 0.95beta is still expected to be released at the end of the
> month. DTL was based on an ancient version of D. There has not been a
> deliberate attempt to put its functionality in Tango, but Tango probably
> has most of it -- container classes and algorithms are included, for
> example.

For what it's worth, Matthew has expressed interest to me in eventually
reviving DTL, but he is currently busy with other projects.  I do think
the design in DTL is quite promising, but it needs a good bit of work to
be production quality (and probably just to work with D 1.0).  If or
when this happens, I'll encourage Matthew to make DTL compatible with
Tango.  But as Don has said, Tango has containers and algorithms
already, so it shouldn't be a concern :-)

Sean