Whither DWT?

clayasaurus clayasaurus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 08:15:16 PDT 2006

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Shawn has not responded to inquiries on dsource for quite a while. He is
> the sole developer for the "official" GUI toolkit for our beloved :D.
>
> This cannot continue. All I ask is that the official toolkit be in
> active development, which leaves four options:
>
> 1. Renew Shawn's interest in DWT
> 2. Install a new lead for DWT or a branch of DWT
> 3. Choose another official toolkit
> 4. Develop a new official toolkit

If Shawn doesn't come back in a couple of months, I'd suggest option 3,
namely, DUI http://www.dsource.org/projects/dui . My reasoning...

#1) Ant seems to stick around and is doing a superb job with it.

#2) DWT is Windows only and to make DWT cross platform means to
essentially rewrite DWT for each platform you target, this is a
development and maintenance nightmare. Meanwhile, DUI being based upon
GTK means it either already works or is an easy port to all platforms
GTK targets.

#3) Is there anyone else around here with enough experience to write DWT
ports? How familiar are people with SWT in the first place? Correct me
if wrong, but I get the feeling people are more familiar with GTK.

DWT _may_ be a better product, but DUI is more practical.