Whither DWT?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Wed Apr 19 03:48:41 PDT 2006

DBloke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The D community seems to be divided regarding a GUI/Framework for D.
> I guess the community needs to decide exactly what it would like from a
> GUI/Framework.
>
> Are we looking for
> Portability to multiple platforms?
>
> Something similar to the .NET Framework? i.e. not just a GUI but an
> entire Framework
>
> Nice GUI RAD IDE similar to SharpDevelop or Visual Studio 2005?
>
> Native API's converted to D for each platform?
>
> A Consistent look and feel across all OS Platforms?
>
> Obviously not all of the above can be achieved, as some are mutually
> exclusive to each other, i.e Native API's and consistent look across OS
> Platforms.

I agree. I think that it's been unproductive to discuss the merits of
various frameworks without discussing the philosophy behind them.

I think there's reasonable agreement of many of the underlying issues (I
haven't heard anyone arguing for a monolithic .NET-style framework).
But there are (at least) two major groups -- cross-platform, and
OS-native. IMHO, anyone who wants small Windows-only executables, is
*never* going to be happy with a cross-platform solution.

> I am sure there are other ideas, but would it not be better to
> collaborate all efforts on a single project rather than several
> individual projects striving for the same goal.

Agreed, but I don't think there is one common goal. It does seem to me,
though, to be feasible to reduce the plethora of projects significantly.

Personally, I've joined Stewart in the conversion of the Windows API,
which seems to me to be necessary for all frameworks. I think this is a
case where a bottom-up approach is the most promising.