Whither DWT?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Apr 19 05:22:54 PDT 2006

DBloke wrote:

> This is something that would need to be agreed, do we want Native or X
> Platform?

Why would it need to be universally agreed on ? Couldn't we have both ?

If you mean for the "official" Digital Mars GUI for D, then Walter has
already chosen DWT which is a native interface ("heavyweight" widgets)

> D is X Platform so perhaps D's GUI should be also?

AFAIK, "D" (as in DMD) is Dual-platform ? But I prefer Cross-platform,
as available with the GDC back-end/compiler. Mostly because I use Mac.

And I prefer native D widgets, just as I prefer native D executables...

> SDL and OpenGL could be a useful starting platform, [...]
> and a bonus that it is written in C so will be easier to interface to

Yes, a definitive bonus of SDL and GL is that the D bindings are done
and that you can link directly to the system libraries (i.e. not C++)

Then again we don't have any "official" bindings for either of them ?

--anders

PS. You do know that there already are a few D frameworks, right ?
     heavyweight: MinWin, DIUP, DUI, DWT, wxD
     lightweight: Harmonia, Terra
     http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?AvailableGuiLibraries