FLTK native in 'D'. Would that be useful?

John Demme me at teqdruid.com
Fri Jul 21 20:15:34 PDT 2006

matthiasm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am one of the co-authors of FLTK. I like 'D' and as a test I have
> manually translated parts of FLTK into
> native 'D' code. This is obvioulsy very different from just writing a
> wrapper, more involved, but also
> more rewarding.
>
> Before I jump into manually porting a few hundred thousand lines of code,
> I would really like to know
> first if the 'D' community is interested in such a thing at all and if I
> can get sufficient support and a
> reasonable number of users.
>
> What do you folks think?
>
> Matthias
>

> FLTK is a Fast and Light user interface Tool Kit. It sets directly onto
> the low lever interfaces of the three
> main supported platforms (MSWindows:WIN32, Unix including Linux: X11, Mac
> OS X: Carbon/Quartz).
> FLTK is in use by several thousand people all over the world. It comes
> with a visual user interface
> designer that spews out readable C++ (and after the coversion 'D').
>
> Come check it out at http://www.fltk.org/

Is FLTK capable of integrating with the platform's look and feel? That is,
would it look out of place in my Linux Gnome or KDE desktop environment?

Does FLTK have some sort of HTML renderer or advanced text display box?

If the visual interface designer is any good and spat out good D code, then
I'd probably use FLTK for D.  I really like the idea of a lightweight UI
library to use with D- this pairs well with the way I write D code.

It'd be especially nice to have a UI library which would work with build, so
I don't have to worry about external libraries.

Welcome to D.

Are you thinking about forking FLTK, porting it then maintaining/syncing the
D version, or just moving FLTK over to D and phasing out the C++ version?
(I like the last option, but some of your current users might be annoyed)

--
~John Demme
me at teqdruid.com
http://www.teqdruid.com/