FLTK native in 'D'. Would that be useful?

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Fri Jul 28 23:29:54 PDT 2006

"kris" <foo at bar.com> wrote in message
news:eaepam$2ma1$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
> ... some shameful self-promotion in someone else's thread
>
> <shakes head, sadly>

"shameful self-promotion", nice :)

You think that to ask guy to write FLTK from scratch is honest?

Again as I said Harmonia implementation was made with FLTK in mind.

>From all existing D toolkits Harmonia is closest to FLTK - it uses the same
paradigm - top level OS windows and lightweight hand made widgets inside.

As I said one day: unified GUI subsystem in D ideally should consist from
indepedent
layers:
1) Window library - top level OS window wrapper .
2) Unified Graphics library - generic class graphics + implementations:
native_graphics,
opengl_graphics, agg_graphics, etc.

Someone then can create DWT, FLTK on top of it or any other toolkit,
windowed or windowless.
At least these parts will not be designed again and again.

I would be happy if at the moment of Harmonia design I was able to find
something close.
I am not a masochist.

Why I am asking to look in Harmonia? Just for ideas of how FLTK style of UI
can be implemented exactly in D. It took me quite a while to find D-ish
solutions for platform
independent UI design there. I think it is pretty wise approach to take a
look on what
is done already. Why do you think this approach is wrong?

And here goes real self-promotion portion if you wish:
  htmlayout (as UI core) at the end of this year will be installed on 2.2
mln PCs
  in various software products and vendors. Currently it serves near
1,000,000 customers
  in America and Europe. This includes police and FD in US.
  In China I've been told that this number is around 1 mln too.
-- end of real self-promotion portion if you wish -----

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com