Install instructions

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat Apr 5 15:39:58 PDT 2008

Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> I think this install instruction needs some re-writing:
>>
>> """
>> 1. Do one of the following
>>
>>     * Download the latest Tango compatible DMD version (for now
>> 1.025). At number 10 do the first moment
>>     * Alternative download DMD from the Tango website bundled with
>> Tango - http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/DmdDownloads. At
>> number 10 do the second moment.
>> """
>>
>> In particular the phrase "At number 10 do the {first,second} moment"
>> doesn't really make sense in English.  What is that supposed to mean?
>>
>> (BTW I did get DWT installed anyway.)
>>
>> --bb
>
> English is not my native language and I didn't know what to call it but
> feel free to change it.
>
> What I mean is that when you are at step (or what to call it) 10 you
> should only do one of the two things and it depends on what you did at
> step 1.
>
> If you do "Download the latest Tango compatible DMD version (for now
> 1.025). At number 10 do the first moment" then at step 10 you should do
> "Download and install the latest SVN trunk of Tango".
>
> Do you understand it better now? Maybe you can formulate it in a better
> way or someone else.

Ok.  That does make more sense.  I'll try to clean it up.

But is it really necessary to use SVN tango currently?

And if it is necessary then what's the advantage of downloading Tango's
version of DMD if you're only going to replace tango? Seems the
alternate way to install DMD just makes things more confusing than they
need to be.

--bb