Another dwt-win / dmd / dsss build problem

Bjoern nanali at nospam-wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 14 07:47:51 PST 2008

Bill Baxter schrieb:
> Bjoern wrote:
>> John Reimer schrieb:

>>> I was confused as to why you were using your own dsss.conf... But,
>>> anyway, glad you figured it out.
>>>
>>> Now I recall I had the same problem with dsss and forward slashes.
>>> The strange thing is that dsss reads forward slashes in the dsss.conf
>>> file but not on the command line :P.  This is an example of why
>>> troubleshooting gets confusing with the problems layered from several
>>> technologies. I wish it were easier.
>>>
>>> About the images in the buttons... Are they missing on yours too?
>>> Are you using Windows XP?  I haven't been able to track down the
>>> problem on that yet.  It was working for me a few revisions ago, but
>>> not now.  I guess I'll add a ticket.
>>>
>>> -JJR
>>
>> Pretty confusing
>>
>> I don't know why but modifying  sc.ini  does the job for me:
>>
>> DFLAGS="-I%@P%\..\import;%@P%\..\import\dwt-win" -version=Tango
>> -defaultlib=tango-base-dmd.lib -debuglib=tango-base-dmd.lib
>> -L+tango-user-dmd.lib
>>
>> my win xp directory structure :
>> dmd/import/tango
>> dmd/import/dwt-win
>>
>> I use hg within these (adequate) directories.
>>
>> I can also imagine that Bill is using Tango + Tangobos. Means
>> probabely this causes the problem.
>
> Yup I am.  I'm not sure what you are saying you modified your sc.ini
> from though.  Are you refering to the -L+tango-user-dmd.lib part?
>
> This seems like an issue that needs attention to me.

Well in case that you install a naked Tango + dmd 1.025
your sc.ini DFALGS stuff is a s follows :

DFLAGS="-I%@P%\..\import" -version=Tango
-defaultlib=tango-base-dmd.lib -debuglib=tango-base-dmd.lib
-L+tango-user-dmd.lib

As you can see, I just added :
;%@P%\..\import\dwt-win"

the -L flag seems to be not nessesary in case that you use Tango +
Tangobos. (I mean the optional ready-to-use installation, you can
download from Tango)
just compare it.

Beside I use Tango rev 3172

> I agree that DSSS is far from perfect.  I think Gregor's biggest mistake
> was to assume that handling D dependencies perfectly would solve all
> build problems (or at least he seems to have made that assumption).  But
> it's just not the case.  In real software there are all kinds of
> dependencies that come from all kinds of places.  A build tool that does
> not have a general dependency engine is a cripple from the outset.

OT/
Do not want to say too much because not much is done at the moment but I
choose Omake :

Quote : http://omake.metaprl.org/index.html
Built-in functions that provide the most common features of programs
like grep, sed, and awk. These are especially useful on Win32.
Active filesystem monitoring, where the build automatically restarts
whenever you modify a source file. This can be very useful during the
edit/compile cycle.  Really ??? :)

and I've just received a mail from a guy who did his ADA build work
using OMake. Interesting 'cause ADAs import/package handling is at least
as complicated as Ds. )
Bjoern