Well I'm progressing -slowly

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Feb 19 22:59:19 PST 2008

Ty Tower wrote:
> Nah You are missing the point here.
> dmd picks up dmd.conf in linux and the libraries are pointed to by that file
>
> ld picks up what it needs and they end up in the command line
> so the post is not right
> dmd /MyStuff/main.d
> dsss build /Mystuff/main.d
>
> both do the same No?

I use windows mostly, but I can tell you emphatically that those two
absolutely do *not* do the same thing on Windows.

First off, dsss build /Mysuff/main.d will just die with an error if you
haven't made a dsss.conf for it.

Second, assuming you do have a dsss.conf, dsss build scans main.d for
any 'import' statements, and adds those files to the list of things to
compile and link with.  Likewise it adds the imports of those imports,
and so on recursively.

'dmd' does none of that.  It just compiles and tries to link main.d into
an executable, including a few default standard libs listed in sc.ini.

I don't know what dmd.conf is.

All this is on Windows.  And I'd be surprised if it was radically
different on Linux.

--bb