Vista Compatibility

Frank Benoit keinfarbton at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:31:00 PDT 2008

yidabu schrieb:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:25:57 +0200
> Frank Benoit <keinfarbton at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> If a user has not privilegues, he can not run the program then?
>
> a user reported that click on the exename.exe on Windows Vista that has not privilegues, nothing happens.
>
> There are a number of ways to elevate the execution level of an executable under Windows Vista.
>
>     * Right-click an EXE or its shortcut and select "Run as administrator"
from the context menu.
>     * Right-click and select properties. Click the advanced button (General Tab) and check the "Run as administrator" checkbox.
>     * Right-click and select properties. Click the "Show Settings for all users" (Compatibility Tab) and check the "Run as administrator" checkbox.
>     * Login as a real Administrator and run from there (Don't do this. Not secure).
>     * Mark the executable as requestedExecutionLevel
level="requireAdministrator" using a manifest file.

> The last method is what really interests us here. We can mark an executable, ship it to a customer, and have confidence that it will run in administration mode on the customer's PC. The down side -- the user will be prompted for approval when they launch the application. But we're all used to that with setup programs under Windows XP.

I understand your answer that you explain what can be done if a user
does not have privilegues.

My question was more like...
If i want the application to just show a window, even a non privilegues
user should be able to run it. Then it would not make sense to but this
into the manifest?
It is only needed for special applications?