DWT package mapping?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:56:26 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:27:15 +0200, Frank Benoit wrote:

> At the moment there are these mappings
>
> org.eclipse.swt -> dwt
> org.eclipse     -> dwtx
>
> Symbols:
> SWT             -> DWT
> SWTError        -> DWTError
> SWTException    -> DWTException
>
> But there are more candidates for the dwt project.
>
> com.novocode    -> ??
> com.ibm.icu     -> ??
> org.osgi        -> ??
>
> Where to put them?
> And the rule for renaming should be consistent and open to new packages.
> But why do renaming anyway? Is it really that hard to type? Can IDEs and
> collective imports help?
>
> What also is bad about the renaming, is that it must be done all over
> again. That is time consuming when preparing Java source.
>
> So I think... What about changing all the renaming back to the original?
> Would that work? What do you think?

I do like the DWT naming, org.eclipse is not very appealing, but
ultimately it is still eclipse's SWT.

I think a question would be, how much work would it take to revert back
to swt stuff (guessing not much with automation). I think going back to
the original will likely help in its evolution, which says to me "good."