DWT Forms Icons

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 18:42:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Tim M <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I decided to port one of my programs from dfl to dwt and haven't yet been liking it one bit. My program went from 339K to 2.81M, the code is much more complex, at lot more imports and takes longer to compile its taken me a long time and a lot of confusion and I still don't see the point of listeners when in dfl all i have to do is: myButton.click ~= &generateKey;
> It seems like a step backwards or wrong direction for me and I spent nearly a whole day trying to get my icon display.
>
> Anyway I compile the program and link it with the resource and the icon is visible on the taskbar but i couldn't get it to display in the top left corner of the app. I've tried a lot and I think it has something to do with dwtx.jface.resources but i couldn't figure it out. Please help.

DFL is great if you have fairly simple needs.  But a 1-man effort
simply can't compete with the large team of developers working on SWT.
 With DWT, you have to pay in terms of clunkiness and Java-esque
idioms, but what you get in return is a GUI toolkit that has been used
to build probably thousands of apps.  So if you need some feature, you
can be pretty sure it's there.  It may not be accessible in the most
elegant way, but chances are it's doable.  If that means more to you
than being able to than being able to ~= a delegate onto a button,
then DWT is probably the GUI for you.  If it does not, then you should
stick with DFL.

Thems my two cents, anyway.

--bb