timerExec problem in dwt-win

torhu no at spam.invalid
Sun Sep 28 07:23:59 PDT 2008

Frank Benoit wrote:
> torhu schrieb:
>> This test doesn't print "OK" like I think it should, it just prints
>> "ctor called".  It seems that timerExec doesn't work when called from
>> other threads than the GUI thread.  The SWT docs seem to say that this
>> should work.  Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> When doing the same thing in my real DWT app, I get an "Invalid thread
>> access" exception, but I haven't put an exception handler into the
>> secondary thread in this sample.
>
> You get the same exception also in your example code, but it is not
> catched, so the message got lost.

I wonder why it's not caught, since it happens automatically with the
old DWT.  I think I tested this a while ago, but I can't quite remember
if it was a DWT-specific problem, or if it happens with Tango without
DWT too.

> You need to wrap your code in the Thread into another
> display.asyncExec( dgRunnable({}));

Yeah, I was hoping I could just fire off timerExecs without blocking the
more complicated.  But from rereading the SWT docs, timerExec does
behave correctly in DWT.  I'll have to do this another way, then.