exe size increased with dwt2

torhu no at spam.invalid
Sun Mar 29 10:03:03 PDT 2009

On 29.03.2009 14:06, yidabu wrote:
> I tested a app (with tango 0.99.8, dmd 1.041):
>
> 2.25 MB with dwt-win
> 3.06 MB with dwt2
>
> what's causes this?

Did you build both in the same way?  I assume you know that if you build
the library with dsss with oneatatime=yes, your executable will be
smaller then if you use the rake script?  If I recall correctly, the
rake script hands all files to dmd at once.

Assuming you built both the same way, there's an easy way of checking
what's causing the size difference.  You can build your app directly
with dsss, with oneatatime=yes.  Don't build the lib separately first,
let dsss do it all in one operation.  Or you could try with
oneatatime=no to speed it up, but the object file sizes won't be right then.

Do that with the same test app, using both dwt-win and dwt2.  Then you
can compare the object files that were created.  See if there are more
files used with dwt2, if they are bigger, etc.

Of course, you could look at the .map file created when linking with
/detailedmap, but that's harder to figure out.  I've never bothered.