Would GIT submodules be a good idea?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:44:33 PDT 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:26:14 +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> Java runtime
> Eclipse runtime (java runtime)
> DWT (Eclipse runtime)
> JFace (DWT)
> snippets (jface)
>
> This is how the dependencies look like. Read "->" as depends on
>
> Java runtime ->
> Eclipse runtime -> java runtime
> DWT -> Eclipse runtime, java runtime
> JFace -> DWT, Eclipse runtime, java runtime snippets -> JFace, DWT,
> Eclipse runtime, java runtime
>
> All of these dependencies are not direct dependencies.
>
> I mean, if the Eclipse runtime repository doesn't contain a submodule
> for the Java runtime it can't work on its own.

This does look right. Though I'll bring up this thought which also goes
against my proposal. Not that I'm against the idea.

Suppose you have a project which uses DWT, then later I want to make use
of JFace. Since JFace comes with DWT you'd rework your build to include
the new location rather than just add JFace too it. However as you don't
have to pull in JFaces DWT you can just leave it. But what about the
other direction, you start by using JFace and decide to phase it out,
either to use DWT itself or another layer library.

Anyway these are uncommon, already require proper redesign and yadda so I
like your reasoning.