Support for Dub

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-dwt digitalmars-d-dwt at puremagic.com
Sat May 10 02:29:54 PDT 2014

For those who haven't noticed Etienne Cimon has created a pull request
[1] which adds support for Dub to the DWT project.

Currently the DWT project is divided among a couple of git repositories:
one of Windows, one for Linux, one for the Java API and one for
snippets. These git repositories are included as git submodules in the
an additional repository called "dwt".

The problem is that currently Dub doesn't support git submodules. So I'm
thinking about how fit DWT as a Dub package. The current approach by
Etienne is to run "git submodule update" in the Dub
"preGenerateCommands" command. I'm not so sure I like this approach.

The question is then: how should we organize DWT to fit as a Dub
package? Here are a couple of ideas:

* Merge the Windows, Linux and snippets repositories in the main
repository. This is how the SWT repository is organized, one single git
repository. This would also solve the problem with the duplicated code
that exists in the Linux and Windows repositories. This is the platform
independent code like the custom widgets. I would still like to have the
Java API as a separate git repository, since this is useful without the
DWT repository

* Create a Dub package of each git repository and remove the git
submodules. I don't know how this should be done, perhaps with a main
package and has depends on the Linux and Windows packages. This would
create extra Dub packages that are not useable on its own

I think I like the first one best, but that would require most work as well.

Other ideas?

[1] https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt/pull/13

--
/Jacob Carlborg