Support for Dub

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d-dwt digitalmars-d-dwt at puremagic.com
Mon May 12 01:33:45 PDT 2014

Am 10.05.2014 11:29, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> For those who haven't noticed Etienne Cimon has created a pull request
> [1] which adds support for Dub to the DWT project.
>
> Currently the DWT project is divided among a couple of git repositories:
> one of Windows, one for Linux, one for the Java API and one for
> snippets. These git repositories are included as git submodules in the
> an additional repository called "dwt".
>
> The problem is that currently Dub doesn't support git submodules. So I'm
> thinking about how fit DWT as a Dub package. The current approach by
> Etienne is to run "git submodule update" in the Dub
> "preGenerateCommands" command. I'm not so sure I like this approach.
>
> The question is then: how should we organize DWT to fit as a Dub
> package? Here are a couple of ideas:
>
> * Merge the Windows, Linux and snippets repositories in the main
> repository. This is how the SWT repository is organized, one single git
> repository. This would also solve the problem with the duplicated code
> that exists in the Linux and Windows repositories. This is the platform
> independent code like the custom widgets. I would still like to have the
> Java API as a separate git repository, since this is useful without the
> DWT repository
>
> * Create a Dub package of each git repository and remove the git
> submodules. I don't know how this should be done, perhaps with a main
> package and has depends on the Linux and Windows packages. This would
> create extra Dub packages that are not useable on its own
>
> I think I like the first one best, but that would require most work as
> well.
>
> Other ideas?
>
> [1] https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt/pull/13

Just an idea (although I'd also prefer the first option), subtree
merging [1] is a nice alternative to git submodules, which would also
work properly for GitHub+DUB. The structure could stay the same and only
changes would be required in the main repository.

[1]: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Subtree-Merging