Current state of DWT

mori stigma at disroot.org
Tue Jan 19 04:51:52 UTC 2021

On 19/1/21 2:34 am, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2021-01-18 01:11, mori wrote:
>
>> Given this, would it be correct to assume that you're not accepting
>> pull requests that would update DWT?  Only asking because I'd be
>> willing to help update the GNU/Linux side.
>
> No, I will definitely accept pull requests. It's mostly that I don't
> have much time available and I think it's too tiresome to manually
> update. I've started a project to automatically translate Java code to D
> code [1] to be able to automatically update DWT. But again, due to time
> constraints I've not been able to work on that project for a while.
Initially I'll try converting the manually so I can understand the
internals a little (also don't know any Scala...).  The benefit of
completing JPort is apparent though, so perhaps in the future.

> Although, I'm not sure how to best handle this if only Linux is going to
> be updated.

Understandable.  However, this begs the question, is it worth it?

As mentioned, I'm happy to work on the Gtk side, but there isn't much
merit in a "cross-platform" Toolkit which only supports one platform.

I do have an old Macbook Air (currently on 10.15 can be updated though),
however, I'm a little uncertain on the current status of `extern
(Objective-C)` (e.g. could a full binding for Cocoa be done?).  If it is
possible, then I may be able to tinker away at that once the Gtk version
is a bit more updated.

Anyway, I might still send some pull requests for Gtk, but what version
of SWT should be aimed for?