Future of Descent and D Eclipse IDE

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Tue Jun 15 06:43:26 PDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 08:16 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 03/06/2010 14:59, Ellery Newcomer wrote:

>>> BTW, what project is that parser for? Is it internal (like commercial)
>>> or is open source? Is it listed here:
>>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GrammarParsers ?
>>>

>> Hm. Never knew about that page :)
>>
>> There might be an old version of it in antlrd; I'll check; but it's a
>> project I started a year or two ago with the intent to eventually build
>> an IDE with.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more? I think I read in another post that your
> parser targets the Java language, I didnt expect that, so the IDE you're
> planning is in Java as well?? Would that be for a Netbeans based IDE, or
> is it something commercial you are thinking? Basicly I'm wondering why
> you wouldnt join the Descent project, if is in Java as well :)

Yeah, netbeans.

Currently, my semantic analysis is all vaporware. The parser is slow,
and incomplete (unicode: surrogate pairs - antlr sucks), and not yet set
up for being amenable for things like syntax highlighting. And I have a
habit of working feverishly on it and then leaving it to rot for months.

I never joined Descent because I don't care much for eclipse and Ary's
choice to port dmd didn't agree with me.

But if you're going to be redesigning semantic from scratch, and you're
going to leave the door open to port Descent to netbeans, sure, I'd love
to contribute.