Future of Descent and D Eclipse IDE

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Jun 15 08:45:11 PDT 2010

On 15/06/2010 14:43, Ellery Newcomer wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 08:16 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> Hm. Never knew about that page :)
>>>
>>> There might be an old version of it in antlrd; I'll check; but it's a
>>> project I started a year or two ago with the intent to eventually build
>>> an IDE with.
>>
>> Could you elaborate a bit more? I think I read in another post that your
>> parser targets the Java language, I didnt expect that, so the IDE you're
>> planning is in Java as well?? Would that be for a Netbeans based IDE, or
>> is it something commercial you are thinking? Basicly I'm wondering why
>> you wouldnt join the Descent project, if is in Java as well :)
>>

> Yeah, netbeans.
>
> Currently, my semantic analysis is all vaporware. The parser is slow,
> and incomplete (unicode: surrogate pairs - antlr sucks), and not yet set
> up for being amenable for things like syntax highlighting. And I have a
> habit of working feverishly on it and then leaving it to rot for months.
>
> I never joined Descent because I don't care much for eclipse and Ary's
> choice to port dmd didn't agree with me.
>
> But if you're going to be redesigning semantic from scratch, and you're
> going to leave the door open to port Descent to netbeans, sure, I'd love
> to contribute.

Porting the whole of Descent to Netbeans doesn't make any sense, one
would need to port Eclipse to Netbeans... :P

But as for the semantic engine, it does make sense: my idea is not just
to separate it from the rest of descent.core (like I mentioned
previously), but also to make it independent of Eclipse. Thus it becomes
trivially resuable in any other Java project like a Netbeans IDE.

Whether I'll try to rewrite the parser, or keep using DMD's parser,
that's something that would have to be thought about later.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer