What to do with Descent?

Arlo White awhite at calpoly.edu
Wed May 5 12:29:08 PDT 2010

I just played with dmd 2.045 and Descent yesterday for the first time.
Yes Descent is a bit buggy (couldn't get builds or context-assist
working), but I still stuck with it because I'm familiar with Eclipse
and none of the other D editors looked that mature either (or weren't
available for Linux).

As someone mentioned, it's much easier for people to learn a new
language if they don't have to learn a new IDE at the same time. Eclipse
is a pretty solid platform to build on and a lot of people are familiar
with it. If D expects to be a popular programming language an Eclipse
plugin is almost a necessity.

True, not many people use Descent now, but if/when D becomes popular a
lot of people will want a good Eclipse plugin, and you'll want to be
ready for them, which means having Descent ready when D2 is.

I'm surprised that the language updates can't be automated, but I'm not
familiar with how Eclipse does language syntax under the hood.

If the task is really that menial maybe it could be automatically
divided up and farmed out to volunteers?

Could you add a page to your wiki describing the problem you're having
keeping up with the language and some examples of how a D language
change translates to a Descent change. Also, show why it's hard to
automate. Then post a link here and maybe some people can look at the
problem and give you ideas on how to automate it or divide up the task.

I would be willing help you out if you can describe what I need to do
and where the code is. I downloaded the descent.core source, but there's
a lot in there and I'm not even sure where the D language stuff is.

-Arlo