Qt Creator with D

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Oct 13 12:56:44 PDT 2010

Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> It does require C++, and it does require Make. It's no D-only solution.
> I'm currently working on making ddmd usable in IDE (fixing various
> memory leaks, allowing many instances co-exist in memory etc) so that
> same compiler instance could be used for both compilation (which is now
> even faster because most of the stuff is still in memory) and
> auto-completion. Most of the work I did so far, I'd call it an IDE
> backend because it's GUI agnostic.
>
> I will hopefully turn it into a full-featured IDE, but I didn't decide
> what should it be based on (if anything), and Qt Creator is certainly an
> option.
>
> I'm not familiar with Qt Creator building process, but I hope it can be
> managed manually and doesn't rely on (C/Q)makefiles only because ddmd
> builds stuff itself (well, the whole "building" is actually writing out
> stuff which is already pre-built in memory in most cases). All it needs
> is a set of source files in text form, and a notification once any of
> those have changed.

It relies on Makefiles, and is in C++ so I'm not sure if ddmd is needed.
The dmdfe could be used to add a D2 parser I suppose, to avoid the JSON.
But that was the big part left to implement to make it par with the C++.

It *is* possible to use it as a editor only for "other build systems":
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-1.3/creator-generic-projects.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2.0/creator-project-generic.html

Though that (avoiding make) only changes the building, not the editing.

But it's something to build on, if pushing QtD as the new official GUI ?

--anders