Status/future of the DDT project?

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:14:26 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Ary Manzana <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

> On 8/1/11 2:16 PM, Trass3r wrote:
>
>> Am 01.08.2011, 13:39 Uhr, schrieb Samuel Lampa
>> <samuel.lampa at scilifelab.uu.se**>:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking into using D for some sysadmin tools I need to develop att
>>> UPPMAX, and thus is looking for a good IDE for use on Linux, that
>>> supports debugging (step/go-into etc) debugging and code completion.
>>>

>> I think DDT doesn't support debugging yet.
>> But unfortunately there's no real alternative (I know of).
>>

> Someone could try to contribute to DDT by extracting Descent's debugger
> from it (the code is totally separated from other IDE features so it's
> should be straight forward). Though Descent's debugger only worked with ddbg
> (dead, I think) and gdb (which kind of understands D, but not that much).

That's the trick. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't had any
luck figuring out how to debug code compiled by DMD with any sort of
efficiency, so I've just been using GDC for everything. The problem is that
integrating gdb would require the IDE to know the difference between the
two, which is non-trivial.
And if I can't even find the symbol I want in an executable compiled by DMD,
how would I code an IDE that could?