Status/future of the DDT project?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 3 10:30:26 PDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:26:19 AM, Andrew Wiley wrote:
> With -g, it crashes GDB. With -gc, there's debug info, but all the symbol names seem to be mangled. Maybe I was just
> looking in the wrong place, but the few times I've tried to debug things compiled with -gc, I've rarely been able to
> find the symbol I wanted. I'm not sure why.
>
> As a note, you can currently build using GDC if you modify the arguments in the response file and use xargs to invoke
> GDC using the response file.

To get demangled symbols a very recent gdb release is required
(something around 7.2).  But there's still lots of not quite right
issues between dmd and gdb.  On 64 bit it's even worse than 32 bit.
Somone with either a lot of time or a good bit of dwarf experience
needs to do some more deep diving.  The situation right now is better
than it was a year ago, but it's still far from great.

-gc really needs to become the default, and -g dropped into the waste
basket of time, unle
ss someone is going to invest sufficient time to
get the D extensions actually supported in all the mainstream
debuggers.  It's just not a good experience for the most obvious debug
flag to not work.

Anyway, my 2 cents,
Brad