Emacs or Vi? Why the answer is neither.

Gyula Gubacsi gyula.gubacsi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 02:25:13 PDT 2012

Basically I have two modes two use my hands. Quake mode, when my hand is on
the left side of the keyboard and my right is on the mouse, and coding
mode, when both my hands are on the keyboard. In the latter it isn't easy
to change to mouse and in most of the programs it is causing me a
considerable discomfort, because typing has a priority in this mode. To
change between the two is just a bad option.
I'm using Visual Studio and Eclipse on regular basis, and I have an almost
100% coverage of short cuts within these IDEs. I don't see why a GUI IDE
should lack of the most important feature for a programmer, to be able to
use with keyboard only. In addition, emacs is an IDE, I would argue, that
one of the coolest IDE I ever seen because of its almost infinite
expansibility. It's a complete shell you know...