IDE written in D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Aug 6 04:42:17 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-06 09:09, eles wrote:

> I have a question about DWT: the fact that is (largely) a wrapper for
> native widgets, that is widgets provided by the operating system...
> won't make this kind of toolkit inappropriate for... writing user
> interfaces of operating systems?
>
> Imagine that one day you are writing the next version of Windows, from
> scratch, in D. What you will wrap in order to provide the widgets?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You would create the GUI in D
just as it's now in C or C++. Then you would wrap the widgets, just as
know, in the DWT interface. You could theoretically decided that the
Windows GUI API would be the same as DWT and then you could use it
directly. Or, the DWT implementation for this Windows version would be
very small and light.

Note that DWT contains quite a lot of code making the widgets behave
somewhat similar on all platforms.

>  From this point of view, I tend to think that a Swing/AWT-like approach
> is the better choice. This is also why I pushed a bit for FOX Toolkit.

AWT uses native widgets as well.

--
/Jacob Carlborg