IDE written in D

eles eles at eles.com
Wed Aug 7 07:20:40 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 7 August 2013 at 09:58:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-08-06 14:23, eles wrote:
> If a widget isn't available on a given platform one would have
> to implement that using the graphics primitives, that's also
> what DWT does.

It does, but only for those platforms where those widgets are not
available. For many widgets on Windows, it does not. How would
you write those widgets for the next version of Windows?

> You would still need to some graphics primitives. Do you want
> to implement them yourself as well? I mean, you have to draw
> the line somewhere. There's always a layer beneath you that you
> rely on, if you're not doing embedded or similar.

[First: this is a doubt that I have, is not a war]

Yes. But, for systems languages, I have the feeling that the line
should be lower. You could not very much rely on a system to
write a system (especially when the two systems are... the same).
I was pointing to drivers as the lower bound in my original post.
The rest should be drawn...

> So you want a non-native toolkit.

I think so.