Code::Blocks Debugging

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Tue Aug 27 13:53:50 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 20:36:31 UTC, Daemon wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 20:08:42 UTC, Geancarlo Rocha
> wrote:
>> since you are on windows, you may want to try Visual
>> D(http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/)
>
> Well, I am using Visual D and I was searching for alternatives.

For what it's worth, I have written a small howto for code:blocks
in the wiki here (under CodeBlocks) and it works properly (under
linux, that is).

 From what little experience I have in running linux developed
software on Windows, I always felt it to be a PITA. Quite
probably the problems you experienced are related to that, too.

A word on CodeBlocks:

It's a nice IDE and it works plus or minus fine. But there are
"buts":

- Debugging is limited insofar as strings and composite types
can't be watched in the debugger.

- in the current release 12.11 the Code Blocks guys cut out - for
whatever weird reason ever - the (very handy) local variables
display.
In other words: If you want to use Code Blocks you should
definitely use the old version 10.05.

I can't speak too loud in development in Windows (because I
hardly use Windows and try to avoid it) but the advice given
above sounds reasonable to me. Simply use Visual(whatever).

A+ - R