IDE written in D

Trvhgoy trvhgoy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:32:43 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 08:00:15 UTC, eles wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 05:46:42 UTC, Trvhgoy wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 03:49:36 UTC, evilrat wrote:
>>> On Monday, 29 July 2013 at 22:19:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
>
>> Two important things that I miss in D are a D UI, as you said,
>
> Choice of a good toolkit is a long discussion.
>
> See this thread:
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/vtaufckbpdkpuxyztyoi@forum.dlang.org
>
> and my own suggestion therein:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/vtaufckbpdkpuxyztyoi@forum.dlang.org?page=10#post-ksirfxsiejlweyhomwmh:40forum.dlang.org
>
> that is, the FOX toolkit (http://fox-toolkit.org/goals.html).
>
> AFAICT, the choice to take SWT (or other famous toolkit) and
> fork it, then port it to D (such as DWT is), is not the best
> option. For a simple reason. The D port will always be compared
> against the original toolkit, which will be almost always more
> advanced and a moving target. People tend to go with the brand,
> especially if the brand is well-known. It is a marketing
> paradigm.
>
> OTOH, a good, but rather anonymous toolkit will be more
> appropriate, at least for the following reasons:
>
> - a D-ported version of it won't be shaded by the original
> - evolution is slower, so not a fast-moving target
> - the team behind that toolkit will be more than glad to help,
> as their toolkit will gain in popularity, and could even be
> converted to D-development (instead of C or C++ or whatever)
>
>> and a really good IDE (written in D, stand alone,
>> cross-plattform, open source, modern features and so on).
>
> Before going into that, the toolkit should be chosen. And,
> obviously, the IDE should be written with the help of that
> toolkit. It will not be just a useful tool, but also a showroom
> for the toolkit (just like Borland's IDEs were for TurboVision
> and, later, OWL).

I started to reading the posted thread. Very interesting.
Now I think the D-Community really needs a solid UI Toolkit first
and then a IDE developed with this Toolkit, as you said.

In my opinion a software rendered approach would be very fine.
Where you can define the layout with a markup language like XAML
or XUL for example and the styling with a CSS-like definition.

I've planned to make some further research on this topic.

Thanks for all replys!