Visual D 0.3.26 released

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Tue Jun 11 13:47:46 PDT 2013

On 07.06.2013 22:59, Diggory wrote:
> Thanks for your great plugin! The integration with VS is great,
> especially the debugging.

Thanks.

> There are a few things I think could be improved though:
> - I couldn't get it to work properly on VS 2012, the functionality seems
> to be there but it doesn't hook up with the buttons properly. For
> example, "Start Debugging" fails, and so does "Build -> Build Solution"
> with "The method or operation is not implemented", whereas
> right-clicking in the solution explorer and choosing "Build" works just
> fine. It seems all toolbar actions and actions on the main menu bar
> don't work, whereas right-click actions do. It works fine in VS 2010.

I test it with the VS 2012 Shell from time to time, and it works for me.
I also think other use it successfully. The context menu items refer to
the project only, while the buttons are for the solution, so maybe this
is the difference. Does building the project from the menu work?
Maybe you have some addin/extension that hooks the build command and
somehow conflicts with Visual D?

> - I couldn't find a way to get it to play nicely with a hierarchical
> folder structure. I can add a folder in VS but it's actually a filter
> rather than a folder, and if I create a subfolder with a .d file in and
> then add it to the project it just shows up in the top level. Since D's
> modules work based on folder structure it would be nice if Visual D
> worked the same way.

If the filter actually matches the folder on disk, there is some link
between the project and the disk. You can also drag a folder into the
project and Visual D will add all files in the directory rebuilding the
folder hierarchy.
If you use the new item dialog and select the package, both a folder and
disk and a filter in the project are created.

> - It would be nice if ctrl-shift-space showed the parameters expected
> like in other languages in VS. Visual D seems to already have that
> information because when you hover over a function name it shows the
> signature.

It does that to some extent if you generate JSON information with the
project build. Unfortunately a recent version of dmd changed the format
making it tedious to get the parameter names, so you only see the types
ATM. Long term, it should be merged with the semantic analysis that also
drives the tool tips.