Linux, Mono-D, GtkD and linking

Bad Sector via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 30 02:35:59 PDT 2014

Probably they weren't built. I was trying to fix the issue by
trying several things and one of them was going to the package
directories and typing `make all` to build them (in hopes that
somehow this would generate some file that told mono-d or dmd the
library's own dependencies). It seems that after the linking step
became much faster (it seemed to be that the linking was the slow
part).

Btw, my CPU provides 8 threads and compiling with `make -j 8` was
*much* faster than just by `make` which makes me wonder if mono-d
can also run simultaneous builds.

I also managed to find a workaround for the linking issue by
adding the full path to the .so files directly to the project
settings. Of course this makes the project harder to move to
another system (even with the same OS), but it was the only thing
that would work. I'd like to see something like Eclipse's
"libraries" where you specify some alias for a project's library
dependency (you can have multiple of them) and configure the
aliases for each Eclipse installation. F.e. in GtkD's case you'd
have a "gtkd" alias and Mono-D maps the gtkd alias to some
include and library directories (this would also help Mono-D to
know which includes exactly to parse).

In any case for now it seems to work, for development at least.