DMD-2.065.0-b3 and VisualD x64 select optlink as linker

Arjan arjan at ask.me.to
Mon Feb 10 23:51:43 PST 2014

Rainer,
Thanks for the reply.

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 07:07:27 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

>> remarks:
>> set PATH=C:\usr\local\d\x64\bin; <== wrong path!
>
> What is wrong about it? I guess it is the path that you have
> set manually in the "Executable paths" option.

I did not. Does VisualD uses the registry for storing setting
like this? Might it be a leftover from a previous attempt to
install/uninstall VisualD?

>> echo "Debug DMD.... <== messes up the /LIBPATH: !
>>

> Spaces in path names are often causing headaches, but I don't
> see how this causes troubles here.

Probably the missing quotes as you mention below.

>> remarks:
>> The "pipedmd.exe" command uses the link.exe found first in the
>> search path.
>
> This seems to be the main issue: there does not seem to be a
> link.exe at $(VCINSTALLDIR)\bin\link.exe, so it falls back to
> using PATH to let the system search for it, and this then grabs
> optlink. What would be a correct path for your installation?

That might be the issue indeed...

> Another issue is that you have probably specified the Windows
> SDK Lib path without quotes, so it is split into several paths
> due to spaces in the path names. Unfortunately, it isn't always
> even clear to me when path separation works on line splits,
> spaces or semicolon, so better use quoting.

Yes tried it with quotes but then the final path is still not
correct, it has somewhere an escaped quote (\") in it.

>> When I disabled the "override linker ...." the build and link
>> succeeds!
>>

> This falls back to using the settings in sc.ini, which is
> usually ok, but might cause trouble when working with a
> different version of VS than assumed by the installer.

OK makes me wonder, does VisualD use the sc.ini file at all? When
this check is set?