Upgrade woes : Eclipse/DDT/Linux , compile takes forever and other caveats

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed May 28 05:43:55 PDT 2014

On 25/05/2014 04:44, Derix wrote:
> I'm on Linux 64-bit. I recently upgraded Eclipse to 4.3.2 and DDT
> to 0.10.1 ... and at first I couldn't compile a thing anymore.
>
> After googling some more, and burning a few more neurons, I
> finally gathered some clues and narrowed the quest to the
> dub.json file. I pieced together the following :
>
> {
>        "name" : "gtklessons",
>        "description" : "A minimal D bundle.",
>        "targetType" : "executable",
>        "dependencies" : {
>            "gtk-d:gtkd": ">=2.3.1"
>        }
> }
>
> which somehow enables the build to complete.
>
> The keys here were the line
>
>        "targetType" : "executable",
>
> together with the "dependencies" section.
>
> There still are a bunch of things I don't get. First, building
> takes forever, even with a very simple and short source, where it
> used to take an insignificant number of seconds.
>
> Then, a whole bunch of files I didn't ask for poped up in my
> userland, more or less the whole gtkd package, sources and all,
> even though it is already installed on the system (namely
> /usr/include/dmd/gtkd2/). There must be a more clever way.

DDT does little more than call 'dub build' (for building) and 'dub
describe' for resolving dependencies and figuring out the import path.
This sounds more like a DUB issue. What happens if you run 'dub build'
in the linux console for your project? Is it quick or fast?

Same as with the gtkd sources. That seems like either a DUB issue, or an
issue in how GTKD is packaged. Note that DUB should only download the
gtkd bundle once per user, so it's not much of an issue, even if it
duplicates /usr/include/dmd/gtkd2 .

> Third, isn't there a way to set all this at the IDE or working
> set level instead of project-by-project ?

What exactly do you want to set at working set level or IDE level? If it
is project dependencies, then no, these should be set on a per-project
basis, it makes little sense otherwise (for a variety of reasons).

> And finally I find that the number of options that can and must
> go in this dub.json file is way too high, and that said options
> are somehow poorly documented. Are there some easy-access
> reference out there ?

Bottom line, you must have a basic understanding of DUB to use DDT.
The reference for dub.json is:
http://code.dlang.org/package-format

> And oh, the reason I updated in the first place was that I
> understood that debugging was better with the newest version of
> DDT. I must have missed something here too, because I still
> can't properly debug as in "step-by-step in the source code". Any
> hint ?

This should work, yes. Are you sure the executable is being compiled
with debugging symbols?
If so, I'll need more info. What does the GDB console in Eclipse say
after you run a D application in a debug launch?

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros