Best IDE

Kingsley via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 7 12:00:28 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 20:46:00 UTC, Zekereth wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 07:44:12 UTC, Daniel Kozák wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:20:11 +0000
>> "Brandon Ragland" <brags at callmemaybe.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?
>>>
>>> I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse
>>> with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I
>>> don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what
>>> others though?
>>>
>>> I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or
>>> anything like that or try it out.
>>>
>>> -Brandon
>>
>> I really like Jetbrains products (IntellijIDEA, Phpstorm,
>> CLion ...),
>> unfortunatly there is no full support for D in any of them :(.
>>
>> So I use DDT and MonoD, however I am not big fan of eclipse
>> and MonoDevelop neither.
>
> I was really hopeful about an IntellijIDEA plugin
> https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage but then he updated the
> readme with "PLEASE NOTE - This project is not being actively
> maintained at the moment - I am taking a break - not sure when
> I will return."
>
> There are also two other attempts that are also abandoned.

If someone will volunteer to help me write the D parser in
intellij I will continue with the plugin. The reason the project
stalled is because I was using the DDT parser and the way its
hooked into intellij caused massive performance problems. I think
the only way to have acceptable speed is to implement the D
parser in the intellij supported way. Which does not support left
recursion. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to convert the
current D grammar into the format intellij wants - I have even
tried to pay people to help me - but with no success.

I love using intellij - but you have to do it their way if you
want to create plugins for it - which unfortunately sucks.

When I say volunteer to help - I mean contribute hours, weeks and
months of sustained effort on a regular and constant basis until
the basic parsing is done. Once the grammar is parsable I can add
all the other stuff that makes working in intellij awesome.