Best IDE

Kingsley via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 8 06:08:29 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 8 August 2015 at 02:57:27 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 8/08/2015 7:00 a.m., Kingsley wrote:
>> On Sunday, 2 August 2015 at 20:46:00 UTC, Zekereth wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> If someone will volunteer to help me write the D parser in
>> intellij I
>> will continue with the plugin. The reason the project stalled
>> is because
>> I was using the DDT parser and the way its hooked into
>> intellij caused
>> massive performance problems. I think the only way to have
>> acceptable
>> speed is to implement the D parser in the intellij supported
>> way. Which
>> does not support left recursion. Unfortunately I don't have
>> the skills
>> to convert the current D grammar into the format intellij
>> wants - I have
>> even tried to pay people to help me - but with no success.
>>
>> I love using intellij - but you have to do it their way if you
>> want to
>> create plugins for it - which unfortunately sucks.
>>
>> When I say volunteer to help - I mean contribute hours, weeks
>> and months
>> of sustained effort on a regular and constant basis until the
>> basic
>> parsing is done. Once the grammar is parsable I can add all
>> the other
>> stuff that makes working in intellij awesome.
>
> Have you reconsidered going my original way of using a D tool
> to produce the AST? Like DScanner.

yeah but it's integrating an external parser that causes the
performance issues - no matter if that parser is written in D or
Java or whatever. The only way to not kill the performance is to
write the parser using intellij's infrastructure.