call to VisualD, monoD, DlangIDE, & other editor users for the wiki

BBasile via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 16 20:39:25 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 16 August 2015 at 19:07:13 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 August 2015 at 15:05:00 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
>> On Saturday, 15 August 2015 at 03:39:48 UTC, BBasile wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Why are DMD, GDC and LDC support marked green for Geany and
>> red for Notepad++? They're both editors, and no editor should
>> have a D compiler integrated built in - they all use their
>> shell-command-running capabilities to run the compilers as
>> external tool. Or are you referring to their ability to parse
>> compilation errors? If so this should be mentioned...
>
> Also - what's "ddoc hints"? And why is "own project format" a
> good thing?

== DMD/GDC/LDC ==
These 3 columns refer to the ability to compile with a particular
compiler.

Through its own project format, an editor can restrict which
compiler is used: for example CE has its own project format that
only works with DMD. Visual D has its own project format but it
works with the 3 compilers. That's important because GDC and LDC
produces higher quality binaries than DMD.

NotePad++ has 3 red crosses because it's not bundled with a
script or a tool that would allow to call a D compiler directly,
in one click. It just has a basic highlither and a cession system
that allow to reload a set of document (considered as 'own
project format').

== Own project format ==
An editor can support DUB but may also have its own project
format. It's not a *good* or a *bad* thing, it just allows to
know that for example if DUB is supported that there is also
another project format (I think that mono-D is in this category).
You'll be surprised but some people don't like DUB.

== ddoc hints ==
it's the ability for an editor to display the DDoc comment
associated to a symbol. For example CE implements it via DCD,
here when the mouse motion stops on the symbol 'Appender':

https://github.com/BBasile/CoeditWikiData/blob/master/dcd2.png

Maybe this column can be renamed, if someone has a better idea
for a short and explicit name...