Best IDE

karabuta via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 22 09:54:03 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 at 00:20:12 UTC, Brandon Ragland wrote:
> Just curious who thinks what IDE is best?
>
> I don't think any IDE is perfect, and I've been using Eclipse
> with DDT and have been having a good time with it. However I
> don't particularly like Eclipse much, and was wondering what
> others though?
>
> I don't use Windows myself so I couldn't use VisualD or
> anything like that or try it out.
>
> -Brandon

I use Atom Text Editor on Ubuntu. Atom has a nice syntax coloring
functionality as well as many packages you can install to give
you more. In fact, packages can be written in Atom to do almost
any task(D programming  related tasks).

Some of the interesting packages I use include:

1. language-d  - D support and auto-completion

2. d-struct    - Running dub projects, etc.

3. term        - using terminal within the editor (great when u
want to run code using both dub and manual

4. atom-clang and language-c  - support and linting c code with
clang installed

5. atom-dlang  - also D support, but I use it and language-d

6. tested      - code testing, unittest, profiling, mmHH I guess.
Any way try it.

7. script      - For running D code with Ctrl + Shift + B (Auto
detects the programming language and does  compilation and
linking automatically). Also displays result in the editors'
terminal.

8. tool-bar - provides a toolbar in the editor for click and
execute (used by some packages to present icons buttons).
Required for "tested" package

9. linter-dscanner - works in conjunction with Dscanner (I
haven't figured how to get it to work yet.

These will also give you some extra convenience:
1. minimap - Gives you side minimap like you find in sublime text
editor

2. atom-beautify - code beatification :)

I also use "consolas" font which makes my code look like ice
cream. There are tones of packages for almost every programming
language as well as themes. If you like sublime, I think you will
love Atom. Check it out at atom.io. (linux, windows, mac, etc.)