Visual Studio + Visual D helper stuff not working

Jason Alexander via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 21 11:52:14 PST 2015

I created a new D project and added some source code from a git
package which just contained a lot of d files in various
sub-dirs. I did this so I could view the code in with proper
highlighting and useful searching features. I simply dragged the
files into the solution and VS shows them. I can double click and
view any file.

Unfortunately the code doesn't compile(the hello works main.d) as
it says it can't find dmc. Not sure why it needs dmc...

Anyways, I don't care about compilation. I just want to use "find
all references", "goto definition", etc... But they don't return
any results... even if there are multiple references in the same
file.

Any ideas why these search features won't work? Does the project
have to be compiled?